God’s personal, moral, and providential plan for His Creation
The Cross and the Skull Mt. 27: 32, Lk. 23: 26-49, Jn. 19: 17-30
Jesus carried the cross up to Golgotha (place of the skull) Mt. 27:32, Lk. 23:26, Jn. 19:17. This was Satan’s last permanent strong hold in history since after the weekend Christ rose with power over Satan’s strongest weapon, death. Thus many organizations use Golgotha or the skull as its emblem as do many secret societies and their derivatives.
A popular image the skull is used prolifically in culture but it symbolizes death (contrast black=dominant color). The word skull is mentioned 2x in the OT: Sampson-Jud. 9:53, Jezebel-II Kings 9:35.
- Jesus knew of the excruciating pain of the impending trials that he was to face approaching Golgotha. When he said, “O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless, not as I will, but as thou, wilt” (Mt 26:39).
He clung to the old rugged cross bearing its weight after being stripped, tortured spit upon and ridiculed; when just a week earlier the people were singing “Hosanna, blesseth be the rock”, and probably saying something like “He’s a jolly good fellow that nobody can deny” (anon).
“He who places his hope in people build upon the sand” (GFIII).
The Cross had more of a texture as a tree (rough) than the smooth 2×4 like crosses you see during Christmas. The people compelled, Simon to Help Jesus Carry His Cross.
- When in the Will of God your work will not overtake you.
“God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it” (I Cor. 10:13).
2. God always send help even if it has to come from the ones who are trying to kill you.
“And they compel one Simon a Cyrenian, who passed by, coming out of the country, the father of Alexander and Rufus, to bear his cross” (Mark 15:21).
Monitor (live right in) prolonged circumstances that seem unbearable and reflect at times to see God’s handiwork.
Discerning His will can be a frustrating process.
- “Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution” (2 Tim. 3:12).
- “Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God” Acts 14:22
- ”We glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience” Romans 5:3
Compare & Contrast: N. T. Phrases and Characteristics
God’s Moral Will
- “God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith” (Romans 12:3).
- the first commandment (Mark 12:30)
- Prerequisite for intimacy with God
- Feeding tip (milk Heb 5:13)
Approach “What’s good for the goose is good for the gander” (anon).
God’s Personal Will
- “And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers” (Eph. 4:11).
- The personal application of walking in the Spirit (Gal 5:25)
- Intimate relationship with God
- Feeding tip (meat Heb. 5:14)
Approach “What God has for me is for me” by Miami Mass Choir
God wants an Intimate Personal Relationship with you.
- “But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him” (Hebrews 11:6)
Intimacy in Prayer
- Pray for God’s will – Prayer is an exchange.
While we want information, God wants us to TRUST HIM!
To understanding the voice of God “God does not require us to understand His will, just obey it, even if it seems unreasonable” (pg. 255).
After Trusting God:
Understanding the Principle of Sowing and Reaping and Wisdom are prerequisites for having an intimate relationship with God.
Sowing and Reaping: Ecclesiastes. 11:3
Wisdom: Proverbs 4:7
Conclusion of the Matter
“The man or the woman who develops a lifestyle in harmony with God’s moral commands will experience God’s guidance in a special way. When you and I live lives obedient, then we are consistently in step with God’s thoughts and God’s ways. It makes sense that we are able to discern His voice more easily” (page 253).