Quote Posted on
Scripture: 1 John 5:13
These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
John wrote the gospel of John, John I, II, III and the Revelation of Jesus Christ. It is this same John who was at the foot of the cross at Jesus during his crucifixion and it was John whose care Mary was left in (John 19:26) and who laid his head upon the breast of Jesus. John truly understood the revelation of the love God towards man (John 3:16). History holds that he was not martyred as the other disciples (see Fox Book of Martyrs). John’s legend includes being placed in boiling oil and exiled to Patmos abandoned upon a barren island he penned the Book of Revelation.
FAITH THEME: John wrote this Book approximately 90 A.D. to strengthen the faith of new believers in Asia Minor who encountered heresies and false belief that infiltrated the early church. This makes I John an ultimate guide in spiritual warfare (sub-curriculum fruit).
The seed of righteous that abides in you has 12 manifestations or fruit that are observed by others. The proof that you are indeed a Son of God is that you love one another and keep the Commandments of God.
Galatians 5: 22 KJV (King James Version)
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
I John 3:9 KJV (King James Version)
9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
John 13:34 (King James Version)
A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
Revelation 12:17 KJV (King James Version)
And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.
Faith is needed to mature WITHOUT THE SEED OF bitterness
(Also see Hebrews 12:14-15).
How does one develop assurance of how they fit in? Many times one may fill like a round peg trying to fit in a square hole. How do we find our place in our families, jobs, churches or society? When we focus upon God, we begin to find the right way. Bringing a more perfect understanding of who God is in relationship with whom I am and why am I here. As we conform to the mind of Christ we become more confident which brings assuredness.
John 10:28-29 (King James Version)
28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand
Your actions account for your soul’s standings’. Character is what you do when no one’s looking and how you treat those who can do nothing for you.
BASIC REASONS PEOPLE TEND TO DOUBT THEIR SALVATION:
- Sin in their Lives: Sin brings about an estrangement from God, a feeling of isolation Remedy: I John 3:9.
- False Teaching: Selecting what to believe out of God’s Word. Remedy: 2 Tim. 2:15 “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” People disqualify themselves from spiritual progress by not studying the Word of God.
- Overemphasis on Emotions: Feel good euphoric religion, church attractions and programs that base people’s entire Christian life on emotions instead of Doctrine. When life happens these seemingly spiritual crutches cannot sustain you. Remedy: “But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry” (2 Tim. 2:5). “We cannot live on feelings” Charles Stanley.
- Failure to take God at His Word: Remedy “Have faith in God” Mark 11:22
- Satanic Attack: Satan is the accuser of the brethren. Remedy: We need the Word of God to answer him. “Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.” Matthew 4:7
How to counter the enemies of assurance
God’s will for our salvation: “Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth” (1 Tim 2:3). “The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance” 2 Peter 3:9.
The Provisions God has made for our Salvation: John 3:16 & “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.” John 5:24
In Chastening “Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby. Hebrews 12:11
“For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.”
The unit on Doctrine is on pages 145 – 250.
Assurance is on page 150 in our textbook.